Lao-Tzu & Machiavelli
Both of these historic authors advise their readers on appropriate means of leadership, while also encouraging certain behaviors.
In Thoughts from the Tao-Te Ching Lao-Tzu advises that “The Master does his job and then stops. He understands that the universe is forever out of control, and that trying to dominate events goes against the current of the Tao” (63).
And in dealings with others Tzu says that “If a country is governed with tolerance, the people are comfortable and honest” (66).
And in leadership he says “If you want to govern the people, you must place yourself below them” (69).
While in Machiavelli’s The Qualities of the Prince he advises that “it is necessary for a prince who wishes to maintain his position to learn how not to be good, and to use this knowledge or not to use it according to necessity” (78).
And in dealings with others he explains that “since men are a sorry lot and will not keep their promises to you, you likewise need not keep yours to them” (83).
Also saying “when the populace is hostile regards him with hatred, he must fear evrything and everyone” (86).
Both of these political thinkers have vastly different ideologies, but I wonder if there are any principles that they might agree upon.
Look through both texts and see if you can find any points of intersection. Find quotes from both texts that help to prove that these great advisers do have common ground.
Do they have ideas that do not directly oppose one another?
Are there any ways that their methods of political influence complement each other?
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.