The Obesity crisis in the US has created a huge industry related to weight loss. Strategies and
“solutions” range from commercial weight loss programs, any type of weight loss diets, diet pills and
dietary supplements to the more invasive bariatric surgery.
The purpose of this assignment is to develop the skills to recognize a fad diet. A fad diet is a diet that
promises quick weight loss through what is usually an unhealthy and unbalanced diet. In addition, you
will also explore the non-dieting movement based on promoting healthy behavior change. Complete
the answers on this worksheet.
Note: You may not use one of the following diets for this assignment as each one represents a healthy
eating plan (not a fad diet). DO NOT USE: DASH Diet, Mediterranean Diet, Vegetarian or Vegan Diet,
Flexitarian Diet, TLC (Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes) Diet, MIND Diet, Volumetrics Diet, or Weight
Watcher’s Diet. These are not considered fad diets.
Part 1 Select one “fad weight loss diet” and use the following criteria to evaluate the diet.
1) List the name of the fad weight loss diet you selected and why you chose to analyze that particular
fad diet. (3 pts)
2) A fad diet limits food selection to a few food groups or promotes specific “rules” related to eating
times or food combinations.
a. Does this diet have a specific menu or list of foods to include or avoid? Provide an overview
of the diet’s food choices. (3 pts)
a. Are there any specific guidelines that must be followed while on the diet? If so, give
examples. This could include preparation, number of meals, time to eat, foods to avoid. (3
3) A fad diet promotes rapid weight loss of more than 1-2 lbs./week and is generally less than 1200
kcals per day.
a. What is the rate of weight loss that this diet promises to achieve? If not able to determine
what do you think the rate would be? (2 pts)
b. Are you able to determine the estimated kcals per day? If not able to determine what do
you think the number of Kcals would be? (2 pts)
4) A fad often promises that you will not need to do any exercise in order to lose weight.
a. Does the diet mention the need to exercise as part of the diet plan? Explain why is it
important to commit to physical activity while dieting? (2 pts)
5) Some fad diets recommend that you purchase special foods, weight loss patches, expensive
supplements or other products in addition to following the diet.
a. Can you find any commercial products that are recommended to use with this diet? If so,
what is the cost of these additional items? (You may need to review several websites to see
what is being offered.) Provide examples. (3pts)
6) Many fad diets do not recommend making changes in activity or eating habits (behavior
modification) or may recommend an eating pattern that is unrealistic or offers no other support
beyond a book on the diet.
a. Does this diet mention maintenance or strategies on how to be successful beyond the
weight loss period? Explain (For example, what strategies are given for the 1-year post
weight loss period) (3 pts)
7) Most fad diets are not based on science or may claim to have a scientific discovery that appears to
be based on research. Others are based on anecdotal reports from celebrities or weight loss “experts”.
a.) Does the diet make any claims of a scientific breakthrough or use spokespersons that
promote the diet? Explain. (3 pts)
8) Find one research article or one professional website that informs consumers about the pros and
cons regarding this fad diet. Some suggested websites are www.webmd.com, www.mayoclinic.com,
and www.eatright.org. (6 pts)
a. Summarize the article or website’s analysis of the fad diet and provide a citation (APA).
Part II Another viewpoint is that it may be better for individuals to focus on healthy behaviors
rather than continually going on a diet and regaining weight. This is considered the “non-dieting”
approach to achieving a health weight.
Go to https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/size-diversity-health-every-size to learn more about the
Health at Every Size movement and how it might be relevant to individuals struggling with body
acceptance or an eating disorder.
a. Identify two of the principles that you felt you could adopt in your everyday life and explain
why they were relevant to you. (5 pts)
Part III Self-Reflection
1) How has this assignment helped you to develop critical thinking skills in evaluating weight loss
diets or changed your perspective on dieting? Provide two examples and explain how each has
changed your viewpoint. (5pts)
Complete the answers on this worksheet, convert the file to a PDF and submit to the D2L Assignment
folder. If you do not submit as a PDF, you will lose 2 pts on the assignment.
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.